21 February 2024

2024: Perfect vs. Progress

 


This week, I am going to let you in on a little secret.

NO ONE IS PERFECT!

Over my time on this planet, I have fallen victim to perfectionism.

Having to be perfect because I believed people wanted me to be perfect.
I would put myself so far out on a limb that I would never feel like I accomplished something or that others would see me as a letdown.

While I was chasing perfection, I was also making myself miserable in that I would see myself as coming up short, far too often.

I would constantly find myself spinning my wheels. Making no progress. All because of my perception of having to be perfect over took me. For so long, I had so many unfinished projects, ideas, and concepts. All because while initially they appeared to be the perfect but, in the end, I saw them as never being perfect enough to complete.

As time went on and through experience, knowledge, and wisdom three things became quite evident.
One, I along with everyone else on this planet is NOT perfect and never will be perfect.

Two, the ones that I thought wanted me to be perfect 100% of the time come to find out, did not want me to be perfect just to be myself and to do my best.

Three, sadly there were a couple of people that saw my need to be perfect and used it as a tool against me. Please note I did say there were. They are no longer part of my life because NO ONE really needs those kinds of individuals in their lives. Seriously, if they are creating misery and bringing that negative atmosphere, do you really want that?

By changing my perception of myself I was able to start moving forward. I was able to create progress. I was able to start and finish what I started. I stopped being the “perfectionist” I thought I had to be. I started working on just being the best version of myself I could be.

While I know I still have a long way to go. However, this is a work in progress.

Folks, if you are perfectionist or know someone who is. It may take a while to get it but once you get it, then you have it.

It is at that point that you will see your progress start to take root and grow.
Once you start making progress, be sure to NOT look back on your past with any kind of regret. Remember, to grow and succeed, you must start someplace.

Yes, even being a perfectionist can be part of your life’s growth.

 
Thank you,
David Guerra

P.S. I invite you to follow me on Twitter: @daveguerra • visit my website: www.daveguerra.com

P.P.S. To order your copy of Great To Follow: Amazon paperback / Amazon Kindle | Barnes & Noble paperback
To order your copy of The Walking LeaderAmazon Paperback / Amazon Kindle | Barnes & Noble

No comments: