13 August 2012

August 13, 1961 / The Berlin Wall


Today is August 13, 2012. 51 years ago today, construction began on the Berlin Wall. It was a scar that divided one of the Greatest Cities on the planet. After plenty of heartache, pain, and suffering the Berlin Wall eventually fell on November 9, 1989.

I can honestly say and attest, that while I was serving with the US Army, as a member of the Army of Occupation of Berlin, it was such a great honor to be one of the Defenders of Berlin's Freedom along with my fellow US soldiers, British and French counterparts.

The role that I played in World History can never be taken away from me and those that served before me, with me, and after me.

We did all the right things to ensure that there was a West Berlin that those that were oppressed, under the communist regime of the Deutsche Demokratische Republik, had as a shining example of what Freedom was and is to turn to and inspire to make that wall fall.

Today is definitely not a day to celebrate but a day to remember all the Bad and all the Good that came to symbolize the Berlin Wall.


As always you can read this blog post in its original location at http://daveguerra.blogspot.com

Here are some Technorati Tags:

No comments: