23 October 2022

About Hypocrisy in the Church (a Young Sheldon inspired post)

A couple of weeks ago I was watching the Season Premiere of one of the most entertaining television shows currently on the air. No, it wasn't the bachelor or the bachelorette. It is a comedy, a spinoff from the hit TV series Big Bang Theory. That's right I was watching YOUNG SHELDON.

In the season opener, there is a scene the Cooper family was at church with the pastor up at the pulpit preaching about love, understanding, and acceptance. Yet, throughout the service the members of the congregation were giving Sheldon's family the "side eye", "that look", and of course when the time came no one wanted to hold hands in prayer with them. Finally, Sheldon's mom said she had enough and left with kids in tow. In true Sheldon fashion, he walked back into the church and publicly called out the pastor's and the congregation's hypocrisy. Immediately, I turned to my wife and son and declared that hypocrisy is why I do not go to church. 




Do not for one second get me wrong: I BELIEVE IN GOD

I do not believe in the hypocrisy found in those "houses of worship" or the hypocrisy committed in the name of God. 

God is SO MUCH BETTER THAN THAT. Then again, God does not need to make payroll.

I do not believe that another human being has any right to tell me that my marriage is not valid in the eyes of the church (Catholic church) or I am a BAD Christian because I attend church on the holidays or ignored and not welcomed by the "leader" because I am not a recognized VIP or I am not a paying (tithing) member of congregation. 

Because of the lust for power and appeasement (needed to stay in power) and greed for money that naturally follows that lust for power is why I despise the hypocrisy that those religious institution breed. It is through the hypocrisy that is tacitly approved or created from the top down that creates more #hypocrites all in the name of God, your god. The God I know never equated hypocrisy with love and yet, fools in ignorant bliss continue to hear the twisted words from their so-called "leaders in the pulpit" and willfully spread their hatred, anger, and bigotry to have it to continue to grow across the congregation and generations. By across the generations I mean those that continue to subscribe to "that's the way we've always done it."

Before anyone goes off and starts with their nonsense of truly misguided and misplaced bravado by declaring "that is not happening in my church" well all I can say is that in EVERY church that I know of that is happening and while I am generalizing I challenge to peel back the layers and honestly tell me it is not happening to one degree or another. 

I, without doubt, hesitation or reservation, believe that when it comes to hypocrisy in the church and within its congregation there are two types of people: Either you have your head buried so deep in the sand that you will take what they give you & how they give it to you with no questions asked OR you are right there in the middle of all the hypocrisy that you are too ashamed or you LACK the courage to stand up and with pride admit the truth.

I like my God right where he belongs: in my thoughts, in my words & in my deeds and when my time comes, I will only answer to that God.

It is NOT that I have left God, but it was through the actions, words, and deeds of other human beings that their god left me. For that I am truly thankful and grateful.

My name is David Guerra and I Thank you for your time.

= = = = = =

P.S. I invite you to follow me on Twitter: @daveguerra • visit my website: www.daveguerra.com

P.P.S. To order your copy of Great To Follow: Amazon paperback / Amazon Kindle | Barnes & Noble paperback
To order your copy of The Walking LeaderAmazon Paperback / Amazon Kindle | Barnes & Noble

No comments: