04 February 2006

A FIRST FOR DAVE

If you had read the 13 days of posting over the holidays you know that I had a condition that would have gotten worse if I did not get off my duff and do something about it. Well, today was a beginning for a new chapter in my life.

This morning I ran in the All-America City 10K and 2 Mile Run/Walk. I did the 2 Mile Run in a little under 19 minutes. Not bad for a guy who is a lot older and a lot heavier the last time he ran a timed 2 miler. It was was when I ran my last PT in the Army. Back then the minimum time for age group was around 14 minutes. I did that no problem. Almost 20 years later and I added 5 minutes to my time, not bad for a not too fat, not too old geezer.

What is the moral of this shameless self-promotion? All it takes is one step. One step even if someone has to put a boot up your backside, GET UP & TAKE THAT FIRST STEP.

JUNE 4, 2005 was the day my doctor put that boot up my ass. Don't let your Doc be the one to do it, because it might just be too late. I am so lucky it was not too late for me.


Consider this your wake-up call. Consider your ass kicked by my boot. While I do not expect you to go out and run two miler, next week but if in 8 months you can beat my time today (18minutes 44seconds) I will give you a Steak OR Lobster Dinner delivered to your door. This offer has to be verified by race officials as well as a doctor's certification that a condition existed that would be prevented through diet and exercise. How is that for an incentive to get off your ass and start living BIG!!

No comments: