17 August 2007

GET TO KNOW ME (version 1.1)

I was thumbing through Tom Peter's recent PowerPoint slides on his website and something caught my eye. In one slide he includes some personal information about who he is and what his likes are. So I got to thinking and thought that it was a great idea, to put himself out there like that. He showed those marketing folks exactly who he is and what he stands for. Taking that attitude, I decided to do the same thing. As I was making my entries I noticed that what is being marketed to me is not what I needed or want, with possibly a few exceptions, but for the most part there are a lot of gray areas that need to be addressed. Then I made another realization...

From a brand marketer's point of view, I would say that you don't know me, as well. You might think you know me because of my last name. You think you know me because I live in Texas. You think you know me because I am just another face in the 17 to 44 crowd. Face it dear Marketers, the plain and simple truth is: you don't know me at all.

So, here for the first time is your opportunity to get to know me and just maybe you can see that everyone IS DIFFERENT and even more important: I am not a stereotype, I am UNIQUE.

Beer: Bud to Berliner Kindl to German Bier to Michelob to Fat Tire to My HomeBrew
Car: Ford to Chevrolet to HMMWV to anything by Hyundai (love the warranty)
Biz Clothes: Levis to any thing Italian to Brooks
Biz: Big (U.S. Army) to Small (self-employed)
Sports clothes: Misc-cheap (EastBay) to Eddie Bauer to L.L. Bean
Spouse: “Sexy broad” (wife #1) to Best friend/Brainy (+sexy) (wife #1)
School: UT to UOP (Go Mighty Mousepads!)
Pens: Bic to Staedtler to Cross
Food: Safeway to Winn-Dixie to HEB
Music: Beatles to Duran Duran to Sir Simon Rattle's Brahms German Requiem
Home Furnishings: Broyhill to Lane to King Ranch to IKEA
Home: New York/New Jersey to Washington, D.C. to Alabama to Houston to Deep South Texas
Favorite sport: Football to Mountaineering to Mountain Biking to Hiking
Favorite MLB, NFL: Orioles-Cowboys to Astros-Seahawks
Favorite magazine: Stern to HBR to Foreign Affairs
Favorite media: Print to Radio to Web (and back again)
Favorite airline: Pan American to Lufthansa to Continental
Home: Old World to Wild West
Vacations: Poconos to Germany/Central Europe to New Orleans
Price: Cheap to Varied (Wal*Mart to KaDeWe)
Hotel: Holiday Inns to Hilton to InterContinental
Restaurants: Emerils’(Nah'leans) to Gus's Drive in & Restaurant(Columbus, Ga)
Stores: Sharper Image to Little shops (Le Petit' Soldier Shop 528 Royal Street, NOLA)
Loyalty: I will be the biggest PROPONENT you will ever have. However, the moment you discount me and take my loyalty for granted, I will be your biggest OPPONENT. IT DOES GOES BOTH WAYS!!!


P.S. Thank Tom Peters for the inspiration.

No comments: