08 June 2009

A New Week Begins

Last week, I started talking about Excellence and its importance when it comes to getting ready for the future, your future. I also alluded to being a Leader and being a Manager and how the two are not the same thing. Again, I will defer discussion for a later time.

Now, I want to talk about the best friend to Excellence and that is Quality. Did you know that Quality comes from Training? Therefore, the more training you have, the greater the opportunity for quality and excellence to enter your life and become a big demanding part of it.

Again, I turn to my good friend Tom Peters. In a recent list of 136 Random Thoughts on Quality, Emphasizing the Variables That Are Often Missing in Conventional Quality Programs, there is one random thought that I want to expand on: Quality is religiously learning one new thing every day.

Everyday, we learn something new whether we want to admit it or not. It is there and it happens. Now, of course some of us learn something by listening to the news on the way to work or we learn something from our textbooks or it might just be some random fact we stumble across on the Internet. So, does this excuse you or me from learning something new everyday? No.

In the context that I am talking about, learning something new everyday is to make a conscious effort to learn something. Whether it is how to tie a half-hitch knot or how to convert Fahrenheit to Celsius and back again, you make the effort and learn something.

Now, here is the kicker:

Once you learn something, teach it to someone else.

Here are some Technorati Tags:

No comments: