10 August 2009

Don't Give Up

There is an old school belief that as a leader you are expected to change the way you live, act, and behave. Guess what? That belief remains true even in 2009. Changing the way you live, act, and behave is a good thing but you should only change to the point that you remain authentic and genuine to who you are, anything more will make you seem like you are out of your element, anything less will seem like you have no clue as to what is going on, and neither are a good thing, trust me on this one.

Change does not mean you have to give up everything for the sake of giving something up and instantly you are changed. It means adjusting who you are, it means growing into the person you want to be and not what someone else wants you to be or expects you to be. You are your own person and at one point in your life only you will know what is best for you.

You may ask yourself when is that one point in your life? I don't know when that time will come for you but you will certainly not know when that time will come until you have lived through it. I will not bother you with the details but I can tell you there been several points in my life, that I have lived through, that were the catalyst for change. Each time, it has involved a life or death situation. One time was in the Army, the next was just after I left the Army, and the last two times were the birth of my children.

Those changes have shaped me into the person I am today. Those major life changes along with the changes I experience every day continue my evolution, future events and experiences will bring about more changes in me and in those around me.

Whether you want to admit it or not you are changing and evolving everyday. Sometimes it may take a little longer to realize you have changed. That’s OK, so long as you do not give up who you are. Those you will lead will respect you for not trading in who you are for what you are expected to be by others.


Here are some Technorati Tags:

No comments: