21 April 2015

#NYALedchat Q&A: Celebrating Blogger's Voice (04/20/15)

04/20/15: #NYALedchat Celebrating Blogger's Voice Q&A


On the evening of Monday, April 20, 2015, I participated in my first (of many) twitter chat session using the hashtag #NYALedchat. There were many great participants in the tweetchat and their answers were even greater. I could not capture all those fantastic answers to the questions asked. However, I saved my answers and I am using them to create this blog post. Please enjoy and if you can, please joins us. Look for the #NYALedchat hashtag.

This evening's chat session topic was "CELEBRATING BLOGGER'S VOICE"

The following is breakdown of the questions, my answers, and deeper explanation of what my 140 character limit answer is about.

Who do you blog for?
Aside from blogging for myself, I blog for everyone interested in Leadership in any setting or industry, especially in a business setting. I am a huge advocate for GREAT leadership in the workplace. There is a huge need for Leaders that can deliver big not just to the organization but to the employees and other stakeholders of that organization.

What are the themes that inspire you to write?
The biggest theme that inspires me to write is in attempting to answer the questions "Why did that happen?" and "What can be done to NOT let it happen again?" The news is full of incidents where leadership has failed the individual, the department, the organization, and leaders all over.

I am a big proponent of people bringing solutions along with problems to their leaders. Otherwise, why bother bringing anything, at all? To me, those that fail to bring a solution are doing nothing more than complaining, moaning, groaning, and whining. They are playing a childish game. While those that bring solutions to the problems are bringing openness, transparency, caring, and expecting more from the organization than just the good old "that's they way we do things around here."

Always bring a solution!

When do you write your blog entries?
I write my blog entries when I have a moment or two to take my notes and put them in some coherent order. I really don't have a set time or day of the week to do what I know I must do: Blog.

I am constantly taking notes. I make it a point to always have something to write with and to write on. Personally, I prefer the FIELD NOTES 3-pack notebook (each 3-1/2” wide by 5-1/2” tall) and Padrino Tech Silver Ball Point Pen. I carry them with me, all the time.

Suggestion: I keep the Field Notes notebooks in three different places; my pocket, in my car, and on my desk (at home). That way, I always have one nearby. I recommend you do the same.

Thus, when I an are ready, I take the notebook(s) and build the blog entry.


Where do you go to find sources of information and inspiration to write...and to read?
There are endless sources of information and inspiration to write and to read. I use as a first and last source the news. Either online or offline, the various news sources provide great examples of leadership (good or bad) on a daily basis. Reading books, blogs of others and anything I can get my hands on certainly helps in inspiring me on what to write.

However, nothing beats being your daily personal experiences (write about that, as well).

Why is CELEBRATING bloggers' voice important/worthwhile? Why do you read and/or write blogs?
It is important to celebrate the bloggers' voice, as it is through the sharing of experiences and ideas that the blogger voice helps everyone be open and accepting of ideas and concepts. By accepting the ideas and concepts of others, it helps improve what we do in our vocation. It helps to improve our place in life. Most of all, it helps us improve our lives as human beings.

How can I get started? (Share your best advice, resources, names of mentor bloggers, books, websites, etc.)
Great Question. I recommend starting small when it comes to blogging. Everyone, has thoughts, ideas and concepts that will challenge others to be better individuals. All beginners should not, for one second, believe that starting a blog means you have to write a dissertation paper every time you write/blog. Quite the contrary, you should write what feels good to you.

I suggest that all "newbies" start by writing 200 to 300 words per blog entry. Then when you get comfortable and ready for more, you can increase your word count. The next thing you know, you are just a few words short of an outstanding dissertation.

As for what topics to use. I recommend picking something you feel confident about and start there. Educators, I recommend starting with whatever pet peeve you might have when it comes to Submitting Grades or Start of day procedures or ??? (I hope you get the idea). Once you pick it, write about it.

Blogging is just one way to celebrate Educator's Voice.How else can we celebrate Educator's Voice?
As a parent, I am disappointed when an Educator does not take the initiative to share their VOICE by blogging, Tweeting, Instagramming, Facebooking, or anything else considered Social Media. It is as if they are afraid to share their thoughts, plans, intentions, or experience with others. One teacher, I spoke to a while back about why she did not have a Twitter account evaded the answer but I suspected that she was afraid the Administration would not approve.

If you plan on exposing the administration or call out the Principal or Vice-Principal then I am more than certain they would not approve.

Then again, if you plan to Tweet or Instagram your weekend activities at the local bar and grill, I suspect they would surely not approve.

However, if you want to share your skills, experiences, and knowledge with your peers, parents, and students then I find it difficult to believe that they would disapprove.

Then again, if they are looking for permission to just get out and do it. Well, as a Parent of school age children, all Educators have my permission.

Please share!


Thank you for your time,
David Guerra

I invite you to follow me on Twitter: @daveguerra • visit my website: www.daveguerra.com

To order your copy of Great To Follow: Amazon paperback / Amazon Kindle | Barnes & Noble paperback
To order your copy of The Walking LeaderAmazon Paperback / Amazon Kindle | Barnes & Noble

Here are some Technorati Tags: •

No comments: