01 February 2008

Fix my car?

You probably have heard this before and I know I tell people this everyday so let's do it one more time.

Let's say you are an automobile mechanic and one day I take my car to your shop, tossing you the keys I say "Fix It!"

You give me a puzzled look and ask, "Fix what?"

Then I know this is the last thing you want to hear but I say, "You are the mechanic, fix my car" and I leave.

Is this anyway for people to communicate? NO. Absolutely not, yet it happens thousands (if not millions) of times every single day. Too much telling and not enough leading.

So what does one do to reverse that fact? Well, for starters one has to ensure that what you want to happen is 100% understood by those that will do it.

Basically, what I am eluding that you must ensure that you completely understand what you want. If you can't do that then having anyone else understand you will be a moot.

Take moment to make certain that those that you want to accomplish something, on your behalf, can do so without hesitation or question. If you are not able to get your message across, try a different approach. Keep trying until you are understood. Keep trying until you understand you.

tags: , , , , ,

No comments: