27 July 2009

Mondays

What is it about the first day of the business week that drives everyone crazy? Personally, I am not a Monday person and the only comfort I have about Monday mornings is that there are others like me. There are many others like me. So how do we beat the maniacal Mondays?

Great question and it is a question for the ages? Don’t go to work? Sleep in? Get drunk the night before? No, No, and most definitely No! Here is the trick and it is a trick because I very seldom use it but when I do it works like a dream, a sweet dream.

Yep, get plenty of sleep. That’s it (please note, that if I did it all the time it would no longer be a trick but a habit). When I get enough sleep I am ready to go. The hard part and why I do it so seldom is that I want to drag the last few minutes of the weekend out as long as possible. Summer is here and for the kids there is no school on Monday so there I am right there with them. However, while I so much want to spend time with them, Monday suffers for the actions of Sunday night.

Luckily, for those that I have to deal with on Monday morning Juan Valdez and his burro invented the coffee bean and Lt. Starbucks invented roasting that bean and the rest is a caffeine-induced bliss (please note that this moment in coffee history was completely fabricated).

So what does this have to do with the price of tea in China? Nothing, but it does have a lot to do with being at your best come Monday morning. Monday sets the standard for the rest of the week, to include Friday. If you happen to be in a leadership position you are expected to be at the top of your game come Monday morning. Those that you lead will expect you to be there bright and ready to lead them into the great unknown that the next 40 hours will bring. To those of you that are solo-workers your clients expect the same of you. I know they want us to take them and their business to a better place and by giving them all that we can especially on Monday morning we are on that right path.

Get some sleep (recommended), chug down several cups of coffee, or do what you have to but make that Monday yours. Own this and every Monday from here on out.

Have a great week.


Here are some Technorati Tags:

No comments: