18 January 2010

It's All About Trust & Respect (±)


Just before the recent holidays really got underway I had a brief, yet unusual conversation, with a section manager and during the course of the conversation he took me aside and said that he did not trust the employees he supervises and manages. I was shocked that this individual said that to me. I have never had that kind of conversation or relationship with this person. I have known him for about 3 or so years but never has he mentioned anything like this. I know that there have been problems with his staffers a little after he arrived and through the years he has all but replaced everyone in his section. He was present at every interview to fill those vacant positions, is the approving authority to make the job offers and he is still not happy.

Well how can he be happy? He hires them and he doesn’t trust them. Maybe he is not happy with himself but he doesn’t see that. All he sees that they are staff that are bad and cannot be trusted.

Going back to the conversation. After the initial shock wore off, I did ask him, “Do you respect them?” He looked me right in the eye and changed the subject.

Folks, it is this simple:
If you don’t trust how can you respect and if you don’t respect how can you trust?

There is no other way to see it, learn it, know it, or live it.



Here are some Technorati Tags:


handshake image courtesy of Aidan Jones (http://www.flickr.com/photos/aidan_jones/1234618279/)

No comments: