04 January 2010

That’s not my job

As we enter 2010 full of wide-eyed wonder and excitement of what the future will bring we can only guess at how long the excitement and wonder will last. How long will it be before we hear the first “that’s not my job” or “that’s not in my job description?”

By my estimate before the end of this week you will hear it at least one time. What is the first thing you think when you are at your local super mega low mart and you hear an employee say, “that’s not my job?” I know I am certainly not thrilled when I hear a cashier or receptionist or medical office records clerk say those words. After the shock has passed, the first thing that I think is who is leading and training these people? Not someone who cares and most certainly, not a leader.

Now let’s turn this around. What if it was your staff or employees that said, “that’s not my job” or “that’s not in my job description?” How does it make you feel? You won’t feel so good, I bet. First off, it speaks volumes about you as a manager but don’t take that too much to heart as that kind of staff behavior is expected from people that are being managed by “just a manager”. Now, what does this say about you as a leader or mentor?

What does it really say? First, it says that you must find a way to never have any staff member or employee utter those words again. It is at this point that you need to take stock and get to the root cause of why the people you are charged to lead are saying those dreaded words. Once you determine the cause, you need to determine why it is happening, develop a plan to surgically contain or eliminate the problem, and then act on that plan. The more specific and detailed your plan of action is the better the outcome will be. In this case it is essential to curtail the “not my job” kind of attitude that can quickly fester and poison those not yet affected. Therefore, swift execution is essential, as a leader cannot afford to hesitate.

Hesitate and subsequently fail to prevent an employee from saying “that’s not in my job description” again will most assuredly put you on the fast track to the back of the “just a manager” line.



Here are some Technorati Tags:

No comments: