11 December 2005

MY VISION OF 2005 AND LOOK FORWARD TO IN 2006 #11

Someone Else’s Average
2005: I have seen a lot of things happen in 2005 that have decidedly made me quite upset. However, as I have been putting this work together I have noticed one consistent factor. Those that make me upset all have one thing in common: They follow others and most definitely are not the trailblazers in their private lives and most definitely NOT in their organization. They are the ones that also bring an organization to its knees. They are the AVERAGE that makes the organization's bell curve what it is.

You remember the bell curve. That thing in school that made the bad grades look better. Then again, there was always someone who would come along and score higher than everyone else and there goes the bell curve and the crappy grades are back.


The sad and pathetic thing is that there were NO people that I saw that scored better than anyone else in their organization. So the pitiful grade curve stuck. Just one thing to remember: Doing C(minus) work is still C(minus) work, whether one person is doing it or everyone in the organization is doing it. The trick is that when everyone is doing it, then the low grade becomes the high grade for the organization.

2006: In 2006, I still believe that there will be people who are doomed to be average and others that are doomed to make others average. I also believe that there will be a few that will ruin the grading curve for their organization. Hopefully, in the process they may bring a few that will rise to the top with them. Time will tell.

In the meantime, I firmly believe that those average followers will stay the same, just average and just a follower...what a shame.

No comments: