12 December 2005

MY VISION OF 2005 AND LOOK FORWARD TO IN 2006 #12

AS THE NEW FINE
2005:
In 2005, when asked how I was professionally, my response 99.999% of the time was "busy". I was busy. I was important therefore I was busy. I have been busy for the last couple of years. I have talked to other people who have told me they were busy as well. It got to the point that at time its was a competition as to who was the busiest. It was like
"my busy is bigger than your busy...here look." Then it hit me...and it hit me like a ton of bricks. We all have the same 24 hours, everyday.

The breakdown goes a little something like this:
7-8 hours of sleep=16-17 left
8 hours at work = 9-8 hours left
1 hour exercising = 8-7 hours left...That's right 1/3 of day left to eat, drink, and be merry.


So what's the big freaking deal? Our bosses expect 100% commitment during those 8 hours at work. If you are self-employed, then guess what you have a boss...the customer or better yet, your stakeholders. They not only expect but they demand 100% commitment from you. So you are busy...boo freaking hoo...guess what your busy is just as long as my busy.


Without a doubt, work can be hard, very hard. I fully buy-in to the idea that the harder you work the better the reward (provided that someone watching you work hard is someone who also bought-in).

Therefore...

2006: in 2006, I will stop saying "BUSY" and instead will say "FINE". If you read this blog and catch me saying "BUSY" when you ask me how I am, then you just won yourself a free lunch at Schlotzsky's. GUARANTEED!!! As for you, in 2006, when I ask how you are doing and you answer "BUSY", then I will tell you goodbye as you are too busy to go to lunch with me.

Remember folks, change your attitude and the rest will take care of itself.

No comments: