12 August 2014

5 Productivity Tips from a Master Procrastinator

5 Productivity Tips from a Master Procrastinator

For a long time I was a Complete Procrastinator. Look up procrastination in the dictionary and there was my picture.

However, after years of struggle and plenty of unfinished projects I realized the only way things were going to be done was to get up and do them. One day, I got off my ass and started to get stuff done. Next thing I knew, my life was in some kind of order and the first three books that I had longed to finish writing were written and published.

I am NOT claiming that I am productivity guru. I will NEVER claim that I am a guru of anything. I will claim the opposite but I can honestly say that I have done a few things without fail since that fateful day. 

I am still not the best at getting things done but these 5 tips sure do make my life simpler.

1. Make a list
Personally, I try to make my list at the end of the day. I do it at the end of the workday that way it is waiting for me when I arrive in the morning. At home, I make a list just before I go to bed that way I do not forget, in the morning, especially after a restful night's sleep. Whatever works for you is all right by me. Just as long as you make that list!

2. Do what is on that list
Do not prioritize the list after you have made it. I never do. I just throw everything onto paper, an index card, a post-it, or whatever. Then once it is all there, I get to work. Typically, the most important stuff will find its way to the top of the list. Top to bottom, bottom to top, every other, or whatever your preference just get to work on the list.

3. What cannot be done today automatically moves to tomorrow's list
There will be times that you just cannot do everything on your list. That is acceptable. On those days, you have to roll with the punches. There is nothing more frustrating than busting your hump all day only to find out that you cannot complete all the items on your list. Do not let it get you down. Just move those items to tomorrow's list. Now, there will be times when you have completed part of the item and now you are waiting for someone to respond (via email or phone) or results are not yet available, you completed the item on your list. Mark it as done.

Once you get your answer then add it to your list. Remember, once it is done, it is done. What I am trying to say is, there is absolutely no reason to drag this out over three or more days on your daily list. If it is on your list move heaven and earth if you have to but get it done.

4. Use Your Calendar 
You have access to countless electronic calendars. USE THEM! Use them to remind you of important events, due dates, and to remind you to create your daily list. You can use the one on your smart phone. I use my Gmail calendar and have it synchronized with my phone.

Those around me might think I use the synchronized calendar a little too much as it is constantly beeping at me. Try it. Heck, try them all. Keep trying them until you find the one (or two) that work for you and use it or them.

5.  Repeat
Like the directions on a bottle of shampoo. To get the most effective return on these tips you must WASH, RINSE, and REPEAT. You have to use them, once or twice a day, then repeat the process tomorrow, the day after tomorrow, and so on.

Of course, there are countless other tips on the Internet and what may work for someone else might not work for you. By the same token, what works for me might not work for you. Remember, all that I am offering here is what works for me.

This works after a lot of trial and error. Do not get discouraged if whatever you try does not work for you. On the contrary, it should motivate you to find what does work for you. I wrote it before and I will write it again: Try it.

Also, I would like to hear from you and share with everyone what works for you? I also want to hear about what did NOT work for you? Tell me on Twitter (@daveguerra) or right here in the comment section.


Thank you and now get back to work,
David Guerra

I invite you to
follow me on Twitter: @daveguerra
visit my website: www.daveguerra.com

To order your copy of The Walking Leader:  Amazon Paperback / Amazon Kindle | Barnes & Noble

Here are some Technorati Tags: •

No comments: