12 May 2009

When William Congreve wrote the immortal lines "Musick has Charms to sooth a savage Breast, To soften Rocks, or bend a knotted Oak" he knew what he was talking about in 1697's The Mourning Bride.

Yesterday afternoon, I read an interesting article on CNN.com titled "The power of music: It's a real heart opener" The article talked about the power of music as a tool to reduce stress. It seems that Dr. Mike Miller, a Baltimore based research cardiologist, formally discovered what I had know for a long time.

Seems that when "he tested the effects of music on the cardiovascular system. 'Turns out music may be one of the best de-stressors -- either by playing or even listening to music.'" According to the research the "inner lining of the blood vessels relax, open up and produced chemicals that are protective to the heart." WOW! a Triple BONUS on that one.

Unfortunately, as I love to sing...my own way but I can't sing or hold a note to save my life, but I will sing my heart out in the shower, driving to and from work, in front of the PC, or as I write this blog.

When in public (family included), instead of doing my best William Hung impersonation, I would rather strum my six-string or play that FOOKIN' BASS. At least, I can somewhat pass for knowing what I am doing with guitar or bass.

So give it a shot...what have you got to lose but some stress?

I am more than sure Dr. Miller, would not be offended if I prescribed everyone a healthy daily dose of JAMMING and ROCKING OUT and SINGING TILL THE DOGS HOWL.

BTW, Here is the poem The Mourning Bride, -William Congreve

Musick has Charms to sooth a savage Breast,
To soften Rocks, or bend a knotted Oak.
I've read, that things inanimate have mov'd,
And, as with living Souls, have been inform'd,
By Magick Numbers and persuasive Sound.
What then am I? Am I more senseless grown
Than Trees, or Flint? O force of constant Woe!
'Tis not in Harmony to calm my Griefs.
Anselmo sleeps, and is at Peace; last Night
The silent Tomb receiv'd the good Old King;
He and his Sorrows now are safely lodg'd
Within its cold, but hospitable Bosom.
Why am not I at Peace?


and Here is the link to the article on CNN.com: The power of music: It's a real heart opener

Here are some Technorati Tags:

No comments: